Friday, June 29, 2007

Thursday Mornings

As the sun arose that morning, I awoke surprisingly refreshed and ready to face a new day. As I headed towards the kitchen for my morning cup of Joe, I heard a sound. A sound that stopped me dead in my tracks. This sound is one that would change my outlook and attitude for the entire day, maybe even the week. It was the sound of the doorbell.

Three seconds later, I heard the shrieks of my three children, "They're here!" Reality set in, "Oh," I thought, "It's Thursday." The front door flung open just wide enough to indent the adjacent wall, just a bit more. In traipse my niece and nephew.

It wasn't that I didn't love them, or love babysitting them every week. Really, I'm not a bad aunt. It was the chaos and destruction of the combination of the two toddlers, two preschoolers and one kindergartner, that I feared most. Picture this--it's kind of like say a chocolate brownie. One is sweet and delicious, the perfect ending to a hot meal. But two, maybe even five, and you're stuck in the bathroom all night, wishing you had had all your teeth pulled, and were on a pure liquid diet. What's the old saying? "Everything in Moderation." Be forewarned, this applies to brownies and children.

Save a Life

Google