Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Under Age Drinking

As of today, I officially deserve the Dumbest Move of a Mother Award. Don't judge me, but I may or may not have just given my 22 month old a sippy full of fermented apple cider.

I was never all that good at chemistry, so I didn't even think twice about giving my son a cup full of the apple cider that had been sitting in my car overnight. I know, it sounds terrible, but we just went apple picking and bought a whole gallon of delicious apple cider. Unfortunately, when we unloaded our car at home the other night, we forgot to bring it inside. Typically, I don't make a habit out of feeding my family food that was left unrefrigerated for hours, but fresh cider? Come on, that stuff is expensive! So, being as I don't live in a tropical climate, and considering the cost of the cider, I decided to render it back to the refrigerator without a second thought.

I should've thought something was up when my baby kept handing me his sippy this morning, saying, "mama, yu-yuck." But I didn't. The kid says everything is "yu-yuck." How was I supposed to know? It wasn't until I started choking on a piece of bagel, while trying to break up a sibling dispute, that I reached for a cup of cider, and realized the enormity of my negligence. The cider didn't taste bad, just...bubbly. Actually it tasted quite delicious to me, but I definitely thought I tasted just a twinge of wine.
Moral of the story...check your kid's pupils after you've given them old drinks from the car.

Save a Life

Google