Tuesday, January 12, 2010

I can't believe it's not butter


Actually I can't believe it is...and I made it. Yup, that's right, I made my own butter. You know you've hit your groove in homeschooling, when you do the ol' "make your own butter" experiment.

Turns out it's very easy to do. My kids and I just took turns passing around a mason jar filled with whipping cream, shaking it vigorously for 20 minutes.
I'm not sure I'd recommend it though unless you have about 5-7 adults to help you cause the kids averaged about 10 seconds each of shaking, and I ended up shaking it for the other 17 minutes, hence the numbing arm cramps I have today.

Graciously my middle boy offered to relieve me for a few more seconds toward the end, which turned out to be a bad idea cause he shook it so hard the lid went flying off and all the whey (disgusting milk-like liquid that separates from the butterfat,)
went flying all over my floor.

But nonetheless, we now have our very own butter. And my kids learned how to get butterfat and whey stains out of an area rug.
I've got this homeschooling thing down for sure.

Save a Life

Google