Monday, July 09, 2007

A Pimple Necklace

If you ever want to know the truth about how you look, ask your children. They're so honest, so truthful, so...ruthless.

I was swimming in my mother's pool yesterday to try and escape this heat wave, when my daughter asked me to carry her around the pool. She hates her swimmies, but can't swim yet, so she insists I carry her "like a baby." Ahhh...the closeness of holding my oldest, my baby who is no longer a baby. Such a tender moment, the kind you see in mushy hallmark commercials. Or so I thought.

As I leaned over to kiss my little princess, she looked down at my neck, and said "Mama, what's that?" I looked down.
"That's a pimple," I responded.
"What's a pimple, mama?"
"It's kind of like a little bump, honey."

Phew. The answer I gave managed to suffice her instinctive nature to ask a million questions about everything. I sighed, as I had just dodged what would have been quite an interesting and yet somewhat embarressing conversation.

Just as I brushed her wet hair back with my hand, she looked at me and said, "Mama, with that dot in the middle of your neck, it looks like you have a pimple necklace." There it is. My extremely creative and imaginative little girl has just paid me yet another compliment. One I will think about, and obsess about for many days. (I am not leaving the house for at least a week.) Fumbling for the right words I said, "Yes, I think you're right." (I try not to stifle her creativity.)

Save a Life

Google