Sunday, July 22, 2007

Sincerely Sunday

Unsatisfied

The last few years, I've struggled to find satisfaction in myself and who I am. I've always known I'm a good mother and wife, and am completely confident and satisfied in those roles, but satisfaction in myself as a person, I sometimes didn't have. I've felt as though I wanted more, and needed more. I can remember saying to my husband at times, "I want more, I need to be more than this." It wasn't until I heard some of "A Purpose Driven Life," and got a whole new perspective on satisfaction, that I realized what it means to be truly satisfied.

See, the world tells you to want more, have more, be more. "Be all that you can be," "Get more for your money." Get a bigger TV, bigger car, bigger house. These things in themselves aren't necessarily bad. But what they promote is dissatisfaction, and a life of always wanting more. This may seem obvious to you all, but I know with me, I didn't necessarily realize it was happening, but little by little, it was. I started out completely confident and actually honored to be a stay at home mom, and little by little I started to see it as a "just" kind of job. I was fooled by the world's standards and I wanted more.

"A Purpose Driven Life" talks about how God created us with a void inside, one that only He can fill. The truth is we have dissatisfaction because we are looking to the wrong things to fill us. No matter how much money, possessions, or degrees we have, it is not humanly possible for us to be satisfied. At least not with those things.

He designed us to want Him, and even if we don't know it, He designed us to need Him. Ever feel like you just don't have enough? Think you need to be more? I know I do. All the time. We need Christ. Only He can satisfy.

Does this little sermon mean I'm truly satisfied? Not even close. I know it's easy to write, not as easy to do. Almost daily I fall into the thoughts of wanting more and being more. It's not until I come out of the fog I'm in, and remember to spend time with Him, that I realize where I'll get true satisfaction. We can all try to fill ourselves up on achievements and things, but trust me, we never will. We weren't meant to.

If you can, check out this song from Hillsong United.

Save a Life

Google